Print The late Jason CorbettThe family of slain Limerick man Jason Corbett have said they are deeply shocked and disappointed, after his wife and father in law, Molly and Thomas Martens, were granted a full retrial charged with his murder.Mr Corbett’s body was found with multiple injuries inside his adopted home in North Carolina in 2015.His wife Molly Martens along with her retired FBI agent father were both found guilty of murdering the Limerick father of two following a 2017 trial.Prior to the murder trial Ms Martens had lost a protracted legal battle in the US courts with Mr Corbett’s sister Tracey Corbett Lynch and her husband David Lynch, for custody of Mr Corbett’s children Jack (now 16) and Sarah (now 14).Molly and Tom Martens were jailed for between 20-25 years after a jury convicted them of second degree murder.The jury found the daughter and father had beaten Mr Corbett to death while he slept in his North Carolina home on August 2, 2015.There was evidence Mr Corbett was drugged and beaten about the head with a brick and a baseball bat, and that he sustained crushing head injuries after he had died.The accused pair claimed they acted in self defence. The court heard the father and daughter had no visible injuries on the night of the murder.Mr Corbett married Ms Martens in 2011 after she had worked as a nanny to Jack and Sarah a number of years after their mother, and Mr Corbett’s first wife, Margaret Fitzpatrick, passed away after suffering an asthma attack.Mr Corbett’s murder trial heard that he had been preparing to relocate to Limerick with his children after difficulties arose in his marriage to Ms Martens.It was heard that Mr Corbett became increasingly concerned over his wife’s mental state.This Friday the North Carolina Supreme Court ratified a Court of Appeal decision that both accused should have a re-trial after it was deemed their ability to argue self defence at their 2017 trial had been unfairly hindered.They had also argued statements given by Jack and Sarah Corbett to social workers which the Martens believe would help their case should have been allowed as evidence in the murder trial.Reaction from Jason Corbett’s family in his native Limerick was one of deep disappointment and disbelief.Tracey Corbett Lynch said her family “are so disappointed and distraught that the Supreme Court of North Carolina has decided to grant a retrial to Tom and Molly Martens”.Ms Corbett Lynch tweeted that Mr Martens and his daughter Molly “admitted killing our beloved Jason – a father, a brother, a son and a loyal friend”.She said her beloved brother “is dearly missed by all who knew and loved him”.Ms Lynch said they have put their trust in God and would work to help prosecutors convict Molly and Tom Martens for a second time.It could be 2022 before a retrial is heard. Linkedin NewsRetrial granted over death of Limerick man Jason CorbettBy David Raleigh – March 13, 2021 459 Email WhatsApp Advertisement Twitter Facebook Previous article#NewMusic: Culla x Dylan Flynn and The Dead PoetsNext articleCarbery Shines As Munster Have Too Much For Scarlets At Windswept Thomond Park David Raleigh
Blessed with thousands of banana plants, a village in Rwanda has found an innovative way of transforming the leaves from the vast plants to create nappies and sanitary pads.Inspired by a a group of bio-medical, engineering and business students, the villagers are now using a product that is not normally profitable to make an income.
“Only electricity wires, eitherdamaged or overloaded, can cause fire, not telephone or cable televisionwires,” BFP told ERC during a recent hearing. PECO is operating in the city only byvirtue of a CPCN. Its franchise expired on Jan. 19, 2019 yet. She thencommended the city government of Iloilo for proactively addressing the problemon pole fires. Mayor Jerry Treñas recently sought the help of ERC andMalacañang. The ERC immediately commenced an investigation. The P106.8million covers the P97 million real estate tax arrears, documentary stamp taxand the registration fees, the city treasurer added. The HouseCommittee on Energy will spearhead the congressional inquiry; the date is yetto be set though. These leaning poles and dangling wires are found along Timawa Street in Molo, Iloilo City. Cong. Julienne Baronda says this is a serious public safety matter that should be addressed promptly. The House of Representatives will conduct an investigation on the series of pole fires in the city. These fires are endangering the lives of city residents, according to Baronda. Under ERC Resolution No. 5, Series of2008, any power distribution utility granted a Certificate of PublicConvenience and Necessity (CPCN) to operate a distribution system in any areamust comply with standards set under the Philippine Distribution Code,especially those that concern public safety. Baronda revealedshe had actually written DOE seeking an explanation for the pole fires. Shewanted to be clarified how safe the electricity posts in the city were. “DOE and PECO owethe public an explanation,” said the neophyte congresswoman. “If theirexplanations are wanting, we will exercise the congressional oversight power ofthe House Committee on Energy.” ILOILO City – TheHouse of Representatives will conduct an investigation on the series of polefires in this city. These fires are endangering the lives of city residents,according to Cong. Julienne Baronda, and the Department of Energy (DOE) andPanay Electric Co. (PECO) have a lot of explaining to do. The commission isexpected to release the result of its probe anytime soon. Ladrillo said theP106.8-million floor price was computed based on PECO’s total tax liabilitysince 2006 amounting to P97,164,438.81, the cost of the sale includingdocumentary stamp tax estimated at P9,716,443. 88 and a registration fee ofP802.64.He said the Dec. 12 auction is open to everyone./PN The total marketvalue of PECO’s posts and the land where they stand on is estimated at P214.9million, according to the City Treasurer’s Office’s Tax Enforcement Divisionchief John Ladrillo. Hermano said theDec. 12 auction of PECO’s power distribution assets, including its 30,000 agedelectricity poles and the land where they stand on, would proceed as approvedby Treñas. PECO would only be able to cancel the auction if it pays the P106.8 millionfloor price set by the city government for the auction, said Hermano. Iloilo CityTreasurer Jinny Hermano said he could not recommend to Mayor Treñas to agree tosuch arrangement as it would mean losing P38 million in penalties. CITY REFUSES PECO TAX PAYMENT OFFERIna related development, the City Treasurer’s Office rejected the offer of PECOto settle its P97-million realty tax obligation in two tranches in two years aslong as the city government waives all penalties and fees. But pole firedata that the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) recently submitted to the EnergyRegulatory Commission (ERC) was more damning, she said. From January 2014to October 29, 2019, BFP recorded a total of 2,887 fire incidents in IloiloCity and of these, 1,464 were pole fires. Between Oct. 19to 21 alone, according to Baronda, nine pole fires were reported. An average of 28 pole fires take placein Iloilo City every month, or almost 300 incidents every year, according tothe BFP. “Due to thenonpayment of taxes, the business permits of PECO have not been issued by theBusiness Permits and Licensing Office and when I came in (as city mayor) Idiscovered (the details) about it. We gave PECO time because they told ourlawyers they were going to make an offer. But the offer was not acceptable sothe City Treasurer proceeded with the (option of) auction sale,” Treñas saidwhen he announced the auction last week. The congresswomanalso urged ERC chief Agnes Devanadera to support the House probe. PECO had notsettled its real estate tax to the city government since 2006.
Gregan, who progressed from his heat as a fastest loser, clocked 45.98 seconds after running out of legs in the home straight. The 23-year-old, whose season has been hampered by injury, said: “Missing that much training, to come back and run 46.0, 45.9 is positive. Ireland’s Brian Gregan bowed out of the World Championships after finishing seventh in his 400 metres semi-final in Moscow. “This was a bonus after making it through the heat. The last month has just been on and off, on and off, it’s not ideal coming into a World Championships. “But this should stand me in good stead for the Europeans next year, and onwards. My last 100 was a bit weak, but it was okay. I just couldn’t go with them around the last bend.” Press Association
AUSTRALIA’s Josh Hazlewood is officially the world’s number one Test fast bowler, according the International Cricket Council’s latest player rankings.Hazlewood, who claimed seven wickets in the Sydney Test against Pakistan, has moved up two spots to a career high of third, behind only Indian spin duo Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja.Hazlewood has moved ahead of South Africa’s Dale Steyn, while teammate Mitchell Starc (10th) is the only other Australian in the top 10 list.Spinner Nathan Lyon is ranked 18th and fellow tweaker Steve O’Keefe has reached a career high of 64th.Proteas paceman Kagiso Rabada has also achieved a career-best ranking of eighth, moving up nine spots after taking 10-92 against Sri Lanka in Cape Town this week.Australia’s Steve Smith has held on to top spot in the batting rankings and is 58 points clear of India’s Virat Kohli in second place.David Warner (fifth) is the only other Australian in the top 10, while Usman Khawaja (up two places to 11th) and Peter Handscomb (up 17 spots to 38th) have reached career-best rankings. Opener Matt Renshaw, who scored his maiden Test ton in Sydney, is a career-best 53rdSouth Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has jumped one spot to a career-high of eighth, making him his country’s highest-ranked batsman ahead of teammates AB de Villiers (ninth) and Hashim Amla (10th).Pakistan veteran Younis Khan has been rewarded for his unbeaten 175 in Sydney with a jump of seven spots to seventh.