Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An 18-year-old man was killed in a high-speed crash while driving a Lamborghini in his hometown of Mount Sinai early Friday morning.Suffolk County police said Samuel Shepard was driving the Italian sports car northbound on County Road 83 when he lost control and struck a guardrail near Route 25A at 2:25 a.m.The victim was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.His 49-year-old passenger, Michael Power, of Port Jefferson Station, was taken to the same hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.Investigators believe that that excessive speed was a factor in the crash.Sixth Squad detectives impounded the car, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone who may have witnessed the crash to call them at 631-854-8652 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
Prosecutors had sought the arrest warrant for Lee on suspicion he was involved in price manipulation and illegal trading during the 2015 merger of Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T.But the Seoul Central District Court turned down the prosecution’s request, ruling there was not sufficient probable cause for his arrest, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported.Lee attended the hearing, which Yonhap said lasted for about nine hours.The merger transaction was seen as helping ensure a smooth third-generational power transfer to Lee, a scion of Samsung’s founding family. Topics : Chaebol families often have only a small ownership stake in their empires, but maintain control through complex webs of cross-shareholdings between units.Lee was the largest shareholder in Cheil Industries, and critics say Samsung sought to artificially lower the price of C&T to give him a bigger stake in the merged entity — a key part of the Samsung structure — consolidating his grip on the conglomerate.Last week, the Samsung group rejected media reports of price manipulation as “groundless”, saying in a statement Lee did not take part in “any illegal acts”. Apology The prosecutors’ request came weeks after Lee issued a wide-ranging apology for company misconduct and promised to end the line of family succession.Lee, 51, has effectively been at the helm of Samsung — South Korea’s biggest business group — since his father and Samsung group boss Lee Kun-hee suffered a heart attack in 2014.He was jailed for five years in 2017 in connection with Park’s corruption scandal, but was released a year later on appeal before the country’s top court ordered him to face a new trial.Samsung’s overall turnover is equivalent to a fifth of the national gross domestic product, making it crucial to South Korea’s economic health.The company reported a slight fall in first-quarter net profit at 4.88 trillion won ($4 billion), citing impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.But Samsung — which saw operations suspended at 11 overseas assembly lines — has warned of further falls to come as consumer demand is “significantly” hit by the disease. The heir to South Korea’s Samsung empire avoided arrest on Tuesday over a controversial merger of two business units seen as a key step to his succession, Yonhap news agency reported.Lee Jae-yong, vice chairman of Samsung Electronics, is already being re-tried on charges of bribery, embezzlement and other offences in connection with a corruption scandal that brought down former South Korean president Park Geun-hye.The merger case is separate from his ongoing retrial, but adds to the difficulties for the Samsung group, by far the biggest of the family-controlled conglomerates, or chaebols, that dominate business in the world’s 12th-largest economy.
RelatedPosts Watford tempts Troost-Ekong with five-year deal Everton invite offers for Iwobi, others Spurs track Ndidi Villarreal of Spain star, Samuel Chukwueze, and a host other stars on Sunday unveiled the new designs of Super Eagles jerseys.Some other players posted on Super Eagles official Twitter handle included Wilfried Ndidi, Alex Iwobi and the national team’s Assistant Captain, William Troost-Ekong. Meanwhile, Ndidi and Chukwueze have fired warning ahead next month’s international friendlies against Ivory Coast and Tunisia in Austria.The duo, who are currently eying a call up from coach Gernot Rohr, gave the warning.Ndidi, a strong man in the defensive role of Leicester City, took to his Instagram handle to talk tough as he anticipates his maiden appearance on the new jersey designed by Nike.In his caption, he boasted that the Super Eagles will be aiming at an unbeaten streak beginning with the games against the Elephants of Ivory Coast and the Eagles of Tunisia.“Exited to share my new Nigeria kit with you. So proud to be a Nigerian. @Nikefootball# you can’t stop us,” he boosted. In same vein, 21-year-old Villarreal of Spain winger Chukwueze also vowed to help the three-time African champions maintain an enviable height.“So exited to wear the new Nigerian kit @nikefootball#You can’t stop us,” he wrote, while flaunting the green and white stripe on same handle.To further threaten foes, Assistant Captain Troost-Ekong also said he was battle ready to inspire his side to victory in the new kits.“Ready to defend my new stripes. So proud to wear the new Nigeria kit. Naija stand up! for Eagles. You can’t stop us,” he charged. Tags: alex iwobiSamuel ChukwuezeWilfred NdidiWilliam Troost-Ekong
The following is a statement from West Indies manager Joel GarnerABU DHABI – The management of the West Indies team in Dubai is disappointed but not surprised by the comments made in the press by Dwayne Bravo.This team was well prepared to engage Pakistan considering the conditions and the adjustments that were necessary to bring meaningful benefits to this team.While change is difficult to manage, none of the players was neglected by the coaching and support staff in the execution of their duties.In preparation for this tour, as is customary, the squad assembled in Barbados on September 10 and 11 for physical screening and fitness assessments. Additionally, there was a 7-day build-up to the first Twenty20 match which included a warm-up.The team’s preparation consisted of acclimatisation, recovery sessions, strength and conditioning, nets and skill sets, management planning meetings which were supported by video footage of the opposition, bullet point reminders and input from our experienced coaching staff and inclusive of the T20 and ODI captains and the players.Mr Bravo, with prior permission, by the former head coach, turned up on the day before the first Twenty20 match. His suggestion of disorganisation in the team’s plans and preparation is therefore false and misleading.