Receive email alerts Cameroonian reporter jailed since August, abandoned by justice system November 10, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Jailed newspaper publisher’s trial delayed again, this time until January Organisation News News Case against Amadou Vamoulké baseless, French lawyers tell Cameroon court Cameroonian journalist Paul Chouta sentenced and fined in defamation case May 31, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Cameroon April 23, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information May 19, 2021 Find out more to go further CameroonAfrica ————————–30.09 – Newspaper publisher transferred to New Bell prisonLewis Medjo, the publisher of the privately-owned Détente Libre weekly, was transferred yesterday morning to New Bell prison near the western city of Douala following his appearance before a public prosecutor in the Douala district of Wouri on 26 September, when a formal order for his detention was issued.He is now due to appear before an investigating judge on 3 October to be formally charged. Local journalists think the charge will be publishing false information. News Detained newspaper publisher Lewis Medjo’s trial was postponed until 2 January on procedural grounds when he was brought before a judge on 7 November. The judge said this second postponement was needed to give the plaintiffs – who have not yet been identified – time to obtain the necessary court orders.This means Medjo, who was arrested on 22 September for “publishing false news,” will have spent 103 days in detention by the start of the trial, which was previously postponed on 3 October for Administrative reasons. He is the publisher of the privately-owned weekly La Détente.—————————3.10 – Publisher’s trial adjourned for another five weeksLewis Medjo, the newspaper publisher who has been detained since 22 September, appeared this morning before a judge in the western city of Douala, who adjourned his case until 7 November for “administrative reasons” to do with his civil status.A local journalist said no charge or complaint has so far been produced against Medjo before a court. This means that the public prosecutor, who ordered his arrest and then ordered his transfer to prison, will not now have to present the charges for another five weeks.Medjo is the publisher of the privately-owned Détente Libre weekly. News ———-24.09 – Douala-based newspaper publisher held for past two daysReporters Without Borders condemns the detention of journalist Lewis Medjo for the past two days in the western city of Douala. The publisher of the Douala-based Détente Libre weekly, Medjo was arrested by the head of the local plain-clothes police as he left a dinner in a Douala hotel on the evening of 22 September.“This journalist has no place being in police custody and should be released,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Like any citizen, Medjo, as a newspaper publisher, may well have a case to answer as regards what his newspaper published. But Cameroonian law does not offer a fair and appropriate way of dealing with this kind of problem, preferring police raids carried out at the behest of powerful men.”Medjo was arrested by provincial plain-clothes police chief Vincent Minkoa Nga outside the Akwa Palace Hotel at around 11 p.m., after attending a dinner organised by the central government’s representative for Douala urban community. He was taken to plain-clothes police headquarters in Douala and is still being held there.Local journalists told Reporters Without Borders they thought Medjo would be charged with publishing false information. He was reportedly questioned about two articles in the newspaper’s 14 August issue. One claimed that President Paul Biya was going to force supreme court president Dipanda Mouelle, a loyal ally, to stand down next year. The other article claimed that the head of the national police criminal investigation department, Edgar Alain Mebe Ngo’o, had seized the passport of wealthy businessman Victor Fotso’s son and, through an intermediary, was trying to get Fotso to pay a large sum of money for its return. RSF_en CameroonAfrica
On average, Swiss pension funds are off the mark when it comes to contributing to reducing global warming.A government-backed survey of investment portfolios found that strategies were on average in line with the global climate warming by 6°C by the end of this century, rather than the 2°C maximum set by the Paris Agreement on climate change.“Collectively, the financial flows underlying the corporate bonds and listed equity portfolios of Swiss pension funds are currently on a 6°C pathway,” a report on the survey stated.However, the authors emphasised there were “significant differences” between portfolios of the participating pension funds. In spring this year, Swiss government authorities offered the country’s pension funds and insurers an opportunity to test their equity and corporate bond portfolios to check their compatibility with this climate goal, as reported by IPE.In total, 87 investors participated, among them 66 pension funds with CHF177bn (€151.8bn) in total assets – well over half of the total assets in the market.The survey found two main factors contributing to this misalignment with the 2° goal. On the one hand, “companies in these portfolios are currently investing to increase production across all high-carbon technologies”, the report said.In addition, “investment in low-carbon alternatives is lacking”, it said.Researchers also noted a 5-15% increase in coal-fired power capacity scheduled for the next five years by the companies held by Swiss pension funds and insurers.“This is primarily driven by investments in non-OECD countries,” the report stated.Each participant was provided with an analysis of their portfolio providing them with a “basis for improving their alignment” and to “increase awareness” of possible climate-related risks to the portfolio.The researchers said: “The analysis presented here can also potentially in the future be used by the Swiss government to report on article 2.1c of the Paris Agreement.”This was a reference to the agreement’s aim to make financial flows “consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development”.The results chimed with a report issued earlier this year by asset manager Schroders, which warned that the world was on course for a long-term temperature rise of 4°C.
highlights New Delhi: Steve Harmison had ruffled a few feathers when he said Steve Smith would forever be remembered as a cheat despite his magnificent performances in the Ashes 2019 contest. Smith was handed a one-year ban after he was caught tampering with the ball along with Cameron Bancroft and David Warner during the Newlands Test against South Africa in March 2018. In a chat with talkSPORT, Harmison said Smith could not be forgotten. “When you’re known as a cheat – and he is, I’m not going to sugar-coat it – that’s on your CV. You’re marked and you take it to the grave. Whatever Steve Smith does, he’ll always be remembered for what happened in South Africa.”That’s something he’s got to live with. I can’t see anyone’s opinion changing on Smith, Bancroft, or Warner – because they’ve tarnished the game,” Harmison said. However, the war of words has now intensified with Australia pacer Peter Siddle laughing off Harmison’s comment. While speaking with the SEN SA Breakfast show, Siddle recalled how a couple of England players have admitted to tampering with the ball during the 2005 Ashes series.”It’s more of a laugh than anything because we know some stories about what has gone on in the past. A couple of his teammates from back then put out books since the ‘05 Ashes and talked about sugar-coating the cricket ball to get reverse swing in that series. That’s the irony in all that, that he actually used the word sugar-coat when two of his teammates have talked about mints and different things to put on the ball. It actually comes back on him,” Siddle said. Also Read | Ashes 2019: Super Steve Smith Underlines Greatness With Double CenturySiddle was referencing to the autobiography of Marcus Trescothick in which he spoke about this incident. In Trescothick’s Book “Coming Back To Me”, Trescothick admitted that he used mint-induced saliva to keep the shine on the ball during the 2005 Ashes series. In the book, Trescothick wrote he had used Murray Mints to produce a saliva which, “when applied to the ball for cleaning purposes, enabled it to keep its shine for longer and therefore its swing’.’Also Read | Ashes 2019: Steve Smith Hits 26th Test Ton, Goes Past Sachin Tendulkar To Achieve THIS FeatEngland won the Ashes for the first time in 16 years as they won the 2005 series 2-1. Tim Paine’s Australian side are bidding to become the first team since Steve Waugh’s side in 2001 to win a series in England. On the other hand, Joe Root’s side will be determined to win at The Oval and ensure a drawn Ashes contest for the first time since 1972. Steve Smith is the leading run-getter in the 2019 Ashes series.Australia won the last encounter at The Oval in 2015.England has not lost a series to Australia at home since 2001. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.