Tags: building, Campus Crossroads, Construction, weather, WInter Construction crews for the Campus Crossroads project made progress on initial construction steps and excavations around the stadium after the least snowy December in South Bend’s recorded history.“The construction team took advantage of this great fortune and worked six to seven days a week in anticipation of the onset of more typical winter weather, which, of course, began last week,” Associate vice president and University architect Doug Marsh said. “Formal construction work has proceeded well in the 50 calendar days since the end of the home football season.”Marsh said the winter work involves several “major earthwork activities.” Crews are relocating many underground utilities such as sewers, water service, electrical feeders, chilled water and drainage, and they are constructing new utilities tunnels along both the west and east sides, he said.Excavation of the student center basement began, and they installed “an extensive span of permanent earth retention system” on the west and east edges of the existing stadium system to secure the existing foundations, Marsh said. They have also installed temporary earth retention walls that will provide a platform for the mobile cranes which will be built later in the winter to erect the structural steel frames for the student center and academic buildings on the west and east sides.As the crew works on initial construction of the buildings’ foundation walls and footings, Marsh said the design team is still working out the details for the interior portions of the project.So far, construction is right on schedule and in line with the budget, University spokesman Dennis Brown said.“The ebbs and flows of weather are built into construction timelines,” he said. “This year’s pattern has made no significant difference on the time frame or budget for the project, one way or the other.”The website construction.nd.edu provides updates on parking and pedestrian/vehicle traffic. According to the site, the University’s two free campus shuttles have expanded their hours as of Jan. 5 to run continuously from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays to help people “navigate several major construction projects across campus and related parking adjustments.”The limited pedestrian walkways on the east and west sides of the stadium remain the same as those set before break. On the east, a temporary walkway allows access to Gates 1 and 2 of the Joyce Center, and on the west, pedestrians can use the DeBartolo Quad walkways or walk through the Mendoza College of Business and DeBartolo Hall.
President Rodrigo Duterte. PCOO Even with class suspension, studentsare still required to fulfill their academic requirements. The local governmentis tasked to ensure that students remain at home during the period. He, however, refused to call it alockdown. The recommendation also imposed“community quarantine” over the entire Metro Manila where mass gathering areprohibited. Suspension of classes has also been extended until April 12, EasterSunday. MANILA – As the Department of Health(DOH) raised the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) alert level to 2,President Rodrigo Duterte placed Metro Manila on “community quarantine” for atleast 30 days. The IATF also allowed communityquarantine for other areas, with the following guidelines: Work in the private sector continues,but the government encourages flexible work arrangements. All manufacturing,retail and service establishments are advised to remain in operation. The legislative and judicial branchesof government are encouraged to implement the same. * barangay-wide quarantine – whenthere are at least two positive coronavirus cases living in differenthouseholds Work in the executive branch is alsosuspended until April 12, except for a skeletal workforce to ensure continuousdelivery of services to the public. In an address to the nation lastnight, the President said people in Metro Manila will not be allowed to travelout by land, local air travel and local sea travel beginning March 15 untilApril 14. Travel to the region will also be prohibited. * municipality or city-wide quarantine– when there are at least two positive coronavirus cases living in differentbarangays The Philippines currently has a totalof 52 confirmed cases, including two casualties. Most of the patients areadmitted in various hospitals in Luzon, mostly Metro Manila, but a hospital inDumaguete City and Cagayan de Oro City each have one patient./PN * province-wide quarantine – whenthere are at least two positive coronavirus cases living in differentmunicipalities, component cities, or independent component cities in theprovince “Hindiito martial law. It’s not even somethingextraordinary,” Duterte said. “If you are advised, just obey. It’s for your owngood. I hate it but you have to do it because there’s a crisis engulfing thecountry right now.” Under Section 6 Article III of theConstitution, the government has the power to limit the right of people totravel if it is “in the interest of national security, public safety, or publichealth, as may be provided by law.” “Let’s help each other. Delikado talaga, totoo ang crisis na ito kasi walang gamot,” PresidentDuterte said. “Kaunting pasensya lang,this is for your own good.” The lockdown covers 16 cities and onemunicipality of Metro Manila, as recommended by the Inter-Agency Task Force(IATF) on the coronavirus outbreak. The Light Rail Transit, Metro RailTransit and the Philippine National Railways, however, will continue operation,with the Transportation department tasked to issue guidelines to ensure socialdistancing on the trains.