NewsLocal NewsAdditional Gardaí needed in ArdnacrushaBy Staff Reporter – February 13, 2019 1073 Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Advertisement Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? TAGSLimerick City and Countylocal newsNews Twitter TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Linkedin Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleSupermac’s to host FIFA 19 tournament at Ballysimon RoadNext articleLeona will lead women’s work walk-out Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Cllr Cathal CroweA public meeting has been organised with senior Gardaí to highlight local demands for additional resources to be deployed in the Ardnacrusha area.The meeting in the Tailrace Bar on Monday, February 18 at 7pm has been organised by local county councillor Cathal Crowe who has also written to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris calling for additional Gardaí to be assigned to Ardnacrusha Garda Station.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Stating that the Ardnacrusha Garda sub-district covers an area of 80 square kilometres, Cllr Crowe told the Limerick Post that “there are around 12,000 people living there and the local Garda Station covers two district court areas and two Garda divisions.”Ardnacrusha Garda Station was opened in 1925, and for many decades the locality had a far smaller population but had four Gardaí and a sergeant.“There are now only three Gardaí stationed there,” he explained.“These Gardaí are highly valued in the community but we want to see more on-the-ground policing. Therefore I am appealing to Commissioner Harris to assign at least two additional guards to the sub-district.”“Two guards are stationed in Ardnacrusha with the third recently retired and I understand that the process is already underway to replace him.”“Although in County Clare, the area is right on the doorstep of Limerick City. It has a high population base and is very urbanized in places.”“The rostering schedule means that for 40 per cent of the week there is no guard on duty. During this time, cover is provided from Mayorstone Garda station in Limerick City.However, in most cases, Mayorstone Gardaí do not get near the communities that fall within the Ardnacrusha Sub-District because of pressures in the city suburbs and staffing limitations.”“I recently met with Superintendent Derek Smart of Henry Street Garda Station, to outline my concerns for staff shortages in the district. Superintendent Smart and his senior colleagues have set up a specialized sex crimes unit which incorporates ten Garda personnel. However, he will not be able to free-up guards for deployment in Ardnacrusha Sub-District.”“Ardnacrusha needs at least two dedicated community guards and a full-time Garda presence for peace of mind and safety in the community,” Cllr Crowe declared.Other issues that will be discussed at Monday night’s meeting include neighbourhood watch schemes and home security.by Rebecca [email protected] Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Print Limerick on Covid watch list WhatsApp Facebook
Newsx Adverts Group of children kick dog to death in Letterkenny WhatsApp 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Twitter Pinterest Pinterest Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th WhatsApp Twitter Shock has been expressed today after it was claimed that a group of up to three children kicked a dog to death in Letterkenny.It is claimed the incident happened in the Long Lane area of Letterkenny last evening.The incident was witnessed by Highland Radio listener Paul, who says those involved were as young as 5.He has also expressed frustration that gardai, as he claims, didn’t take his report of the incident seriously.He spoke earlier on the Shaun Doherty Show:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dog1pm.mp3[/podcast] Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Google+ Previous articleDrink-driving detections over Christmas same as last year despite cold snapNext article3% month on month fall in those signing on the live register News Highland Google+ By News Highland – January 7, 2011 Facebook 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Pexels ImageALBANY (AP) — Restaurants in some COVID-19 hot spots in New York state can once again offer limited indoor dining in the wake of the latest lawsuit against Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s virus restrictions, while a ban remains in place in New York City.Up to four people per table can now dine inside restaurants, up to 50% capacity, in seven so-called “orange zones” located in counties with some of the state’s highest rates of COVID-19 cases or hospitalizations: including Monroe County in the Finger Lakes.The decision comes a day after some Erie County restaurants won a preliminary injunction for themselves against the state’s enforcement of the indoor dining ban in yellow zones.Cuomo’s counsel Kumiki Gibson said his office disagrees with the decision and is reviewing it. She pointed to federal data demonstrating indoor dining increases COVID-19 spread. “While that process is ongoing, to ensure uniformity and fairness, all restaurants operating in orange zones can now operate under rules governing yellow zones,” she said.State Supreme Court Justice Henry Nowak said he couldn’t “find evidence that the state had a rational basis to designate portions of Erie County as an orange zone” and that the restaurants would suffer “irreparable harm” without the injunction.New York City’s restaurant industry is calling on Cuomo to also halt his indoor dining ban in the city. Manhattan has relatively low rates of cases and hospitalizations, though rates are higher in Staten Island.“Continuation of the indoor dining ban in New York City is divorced from any of the data and criteria the state has articulated and must be ended now,” NYC Hospitality Alliance executive director Andrew Rigie and executive director and counsel Robert Bookman said in a joint statement.It’s the latest lawsuit that has questioned Cuomo’s micro-cluster approach launched in October.Cuomo proposed imposing COVID-19 restrictions based on addresses of people testing positive, rather than statewide like last spring. Courts long deferred to Cuomo’s emergency authority, but restaurants and houses of worships have seen some success arguing Cuomo has gone too far.The Supreme Court barred Cuomo in November from enforcing 10- and 25-person attendance limits at churches and synagogues in Brooklyn and Queens hot spots. Cuomo called that decision “irrelevant” because he ended up easing restrictions in those neighborhoods.But in late December, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled Cuomo’s attendance policy “discriminates against religion on its face” and ordered the federal district court to issue a preliminary injunction prohibiting enforcement in red and orange zones statewide. Cuomo’s office didn’t respond immediately Thursday to a question about the status of those restrictions.Cuomo’s Thursday announcement was welcome news for county officials and restaurant owners who question why Cuomo has kept only some orange zones even as cases rise elsewhere.“We’re very happy,” David Cleary, an owner of Pudgie’s Pizza Pasta & Subs, which has two locations in Chemung County, said. “We’ve been very patient the last 80-plus days. It’s good for all restaurants and dine-ins, especially mom-and-pop locations.”Critics question Cuomo’s data and say his approach leads to people driving outside zones to dine indoors. Cleary said other restaurants in Chemung’s orange zone started opening this week in defiance of Cuomo’s restrictions.“We really wanted to, but we’re trying to do what’s right and abide by the law,” he said, adding: “Now that we’re all able to open it’s easier.”New York now has no red zones and seven orange zones, even as nearly the entire state is seeing high enough positivity rates to qualify under Cuomo’s original red zone metrics. Cuomo hasn’t updated zones in weeks, and said in December he’ll shutter a part of the state only if regional hospitalization reaches critical levels.Red zones shutter nonessential businesses and outdoor dining, while orange zones only allow outdoor dining or takeout and limit gyms and hair salons to 25% capacity. Cuomo originally shuttered schools in those zones, but later allowed them to reopen if they launch testing programs.New York is far below the mid-April peak of COVID-19, but infections surged this fall and winter. The state now ranks 12th in the nation for its average of hospitalizations and new cases per-capita over the past seven days.In central and northern New York, Herkimer and Lewis counties have averaged a higher rate of new COVID-19 cases per-capita than Arizona over the past seven days. Long Island’s Suffolk County has a higher rate than California.And Cuomo’s approach has fueled disagreements between state and local officials, whose data can often differ, and confusion for residents.Chemung County’s own dashboard cites 210 active cases, 70 deaths of county residents and 57 residents hospitalized. But the state’s data — which doesn’t include hospitalizations by county — lists 107 deaths in total and 720 new cases over the past 10 days.County public health spokesman Vincent Azzarelli said he doesn’t know why the state’s fatality count is different. He said the county’s “active cases” are cases the department’s currently monitoring.
Laura EskandarionLaura Ahn Eskandarion died Monday, December 16, 2013 at her home in rural Wellington at the age of 50.Laura was born the daughter of Raymond and Mary (Johnson) Graham on Thursday, February 7, 1963 in Wichita.On February 12, 2000, Laura and Burt Eskandarion were united in marriage in Wichita. Together they celebrated over 13 years of marriage.Laura worked at Boeing Aircraft in Wichita for 11 years; however, she eventually left to pursue her lifelong dream of operating a karate school. With the support of her family, she and Burt opened the LB School of Defense in Wellington on February 16, 2008. Laura was dedicated to the school and students and considered them all a part of the family.When not at work, she loved her life on the farm. Laura enjoyed being outdoors with her cats, dogs and chickens. She especially looked forward to riding horses and hunting pheasant in South Dakota.Survivors include her husband, Burt Eskandarion of Wellington, father, Raymond “Chub” Graham of Wichita, daughters: Jenny Eskandarion of Baltimore, Maryland and Jessy Eskandarion of Haysville, grandson, Braden Amir Eskandarion-Nix of Haysville, brothers: Tim Graham and his wife Debby of Cheney and William “Bill” Graham and his wife Robin of Mukilteo, Washington, several nieces and nephews: Cody Graham, Augustus Graham, Megan Foltz and her husband CJ, Dustin Graham and Kyle Graham along with a great-nephew, Tyler DeMott.She was preceded in death by her mother, Mary Graham and her uncle, Clemet Johnson.The family will receive friends at the funeral home from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Thursday evening, December 19, 2013.Memorial Services for Laura will be at 10:00 a.m., Friday, December 20, 2013 in the chapel of Day Funeral Home, 1030 Mission Road, Wellington.Memorials have been established in her loving memory with MD Anderson Cancer Center Childrenâ€™s Cancer Hospital, P.O. Box 4486, Houston, TX 77210-4486. Contributions can be mailed or left with the funeral home.To share a memory or leave condolences, please visit www.dayfuneralhome.info.Arrangements are by Day Funeral Home & Crematory, Wellington.