As US oil giant ExxonMobil continues exploration in the Stabroek Block offshore Guyana, the company reported that its Skipjack well did not yield “commercial quantities of hydrocarbons”, according to the Natural Resources Ministry.The Ministry in a statement said ExxonMobil and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) informed authorities that on August 29, 2016 the well proved not to have commercial quantities of hydrocarbons.“We are continuing to have verification work done and awaiting a full report and more information will be provided then. This announcement reminded us of the undulating fortunes of mining in general and of oil exploration in particular,” the Ministry’s statement said.The Stena Carron: Drilling ahead of Liza 3 offshore Guyana (Upstream photo)ExxonMobil, the statement continued, will continue with plans to develop the Liza well with its declared capacity of approximately one billion barrels and also look for other possible targets for drilling.“Likewise, the Government continues its preparations for the eventual production of oil and gas in the near future by building capacity at the legislative, technical and regulatory levels,” the statement continued.Efforts to contact ExxonMobil’s local manager, Jeff Simmons, proved futile, as Guyana Times was told he was out of the office. However, sections of the local media quoted Simmons as confirming that indeed the Skipjack well did not turn up the results expected.International oil and gas newspaper, Upstream quoted ExxonMobil sources who confirmed that the company failed to hit commercial hydrocarbons at the Skipjack exploration well, where the super major was targeting similar conditions to its massive Liza oil find of between 800 million and 1.4 billion barrels of oil equivalent.The US super major confirmed reports from Upstream sources that Skipjack, which was spud on July 17, was a dry hole.The company did not detail if there were any hydrocarbon shows during the drilling.Sources familiar with the geology in the vast Guyana-Suriname basin called the Skipjack prospect a geological lookalike to Liza, reiterating comments previously made by executives at ExxonMobil’s partner Hess that the Stabroek Block contained potentially more than 20 structures with similar attributes as Liza.The Stena Carron drillship is on location at the Liza 3 appraisal well after drilling Skipjack 40 kilometres to the north-west of Liza.ExxonMobil spud Liza 3 on September 4 and, like its predecessor Liza 2, the well will focus on testing the flank of the Liza structure to determine the aerial extent of the reservoir.Liza 2 hit more than 190 feet of net pay and caused ExxonMobil, along with partners Hess and CNOOC subsidiary Nexen, to boost their estimate of the recoverable oil in place at Liza.In July, ExxonMobil submitted a development plan for Liza to Guyana’s Environmental Protection Agency to begin the environmental review process.That plan calls for a pair of rigs to drill development wells from two drill centres, each with a corresponding water injection site to the east. Production will be sent to an FPSO with capacity of around 100,000 barrels of oil per day.Under that plan, first production from the field would come online sometime in 2020 or as late as 2021.
Minister of State, Joe McHughFine Gael Minister of State Joe McHugh TD, has said that funding of €117,986 for Donegal Volunteer Project will provide a great boost for Donegal’s volunteers.This is part of national funding of €3.15 million for volunteering organisations.“Funding of €117, 986 has been allocated to Donegal Volunteer Project to support Donegal volunteers for 2016. This money will add to that being raised locally by many hard working volunteers.“Volunteerism helps people to feel involved in their communities and to participate in local events. Volunteers drive local development, sports organisations and charities in all parts of the country and this funding will help to support the structures behind this valuable work. The importance of volunteers in our local communities cannot be understated. “There is a wide range of social and community initiatives operating in County Donegal, all of which are only possible because of alliances that have formed between communities, voluntary agencies, government, and business. The level of professionalism, skill and cooperation that exists among volunteers here in Donegal has never been greater.“This funding has been provided to support volunteer centres and volunteer information services in all parts of the country including here in County Donegal. Supporting volunteers in our community is extremely important and now possible due to resources available from growing employment. Fine Gael has a long term economic plan to keep the keep the recovery going and job creation is at its core.“The plan has three steps: more and better jobs, making work pay more than welfare, and investment in better public services, which will only be possible as a result of the increased revenue generated by creating more jobs. This plan will ensure that more people feel the benefits of a recovering economy in their own lives.”DONEGAL’S VOLUNTEERS GET €118,000 GRANT was last modified: February 1st, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalfundingJoe McHughvolunteers
The application deadline for the HOPE Youth Summer Work Programme has been extended to April 27, 2018.The thrust, which is in line with the Government’s initiative of the Housing, Opportunity, Production and Employment (HOPE) Programme, will enable 14,000 young people to benefit from valuable work experience during the months of June, July and August.The target group, aged 17 to 29 years, will be placed in various entities for a period of three weeks, where they will gain some of the necessary skills for the world of work.The programme consists of recruitment/selection, training, orientation, placement and monitoring.In addition to completing an application form, persons are required to submit copies of their birth certificate, tax registration number (TRN) and national insurance scheme (NIS) cards, national or school identification card, proof of qualification (if any) and résumé.Persons may download the application form at www.heart-nta.org or www.nysjamaica.org. Once completed, the form can be dropped off at any HEART Trust/NTA, Jamaica Foundation for Lifelong Learning or National Youth Service (NYS) office.For more information, persons may call 754-9816-8 or send an email to: [email protected] Story Highlights The application deadline for the HOPE Youth Summer Work Programme has been extended to April 27, 2018. The thrust, which is in line with the Government’s initiative of the Housing, Opportunity, Production and Employment (HOPE) Programme, will enable 14,000 young people to benefit from valuable work experience during the months of June, July and August. The programme consists of recruitment/selection, training, orientation, placement and monitoring.