The Storm released a brief statement regarding the incident.”Melbourne Storm player, Shem Tatupu, was struck by a car on Monday night while crossing the road on Olympic Boulevard after training,” the statement read.”Players and staff were at the scene and immediately called an ambulance.”Thankfully Shem has been cleared of any serious injury and is expected to be discharged from hospital in the coming days.”The Club would like to thank the members of the public who were in the area at the time and who came to the assistance of players and staff and offered help.”The one-time Hawthorn Hawks AFL player is the son of former Warriors players Tony Tatupu.
With veteran big man Ben Matulino set to miss the opening rounds of the season, following surgery on his left knee in January, there is an opening in the engine room for the Kiwi club.While Jacob Lillyman and Albert Vete are the probable starters, the Warriors have tended to carry three props on their bench in recent times, creating an opportunity for one of their youngsters to earn a spot on the interchange alongside likely candidates Sam Lisone and Charlie Gubb.”They all put their hand up and it’s been a good learning curve for the likes of Isaiah Papalii and Toafofoa Sipley,” Wiki said.”They are knocking on the door of first grade, so hopefully they can learn from this and move on.”It’s just about them putting their best foot forward to show Stephen they can match it in the NRL.”Last year Sipley made his NRL Telstra Premiership debut, playing two matches off the interchange following strong form in the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side, while Papalii is yet to play past Holden Cup level, where he appeared in 11 matches for the Junior Warriors in 2016.Speaking ahead of his appearance for the World All Stars in Friday night’s clash against the Indigenous All Stars, Lisone said the props at the Warriors were enjoying the internal competition for places.”‘Mooks’ (coach Stephen Kearney) has got a few of us having a run in there, there’s a lot of competition coming through,” Lisone said.”Tof Sipley and Isaiah Papalii are putting some pressure on me, Albert and Charlie.”I thought Isaiah played really well for a young team [at the Nines].”Both Sipley and Papalii have been named in the Warriors’ squad for this Saturday’s trial match against the Melbourne Storm at Sunshine Coast Stadium.
NLEX head coach Yeng Guiao has a knack for bringing the best out of his players and Bong Galanza is no exception.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Galanza had 14 points, three rebounds and three steals to help the Road Warriors rout injury-depleted Alaska, 91-70, on Wednesday before unleashing 18 points, all from beyond-the-arc, in a 122-101 ripping of Blackwater four days later.Behind Galanza’s hot shooting, NLEX climbed into seventh place with a 4-5 record.Galanza beat a solid set of Player of the Week candidates led by Ginebra’s Scottie Thompson, TNT’s Roger Pogoy, Rain or Shine rookie Javee Mocon and Ed Daquioag and Phoenix’s Matthew Wright.NLEX’s playoff bid continues against Barangay Ginebra on Saturday Angeles City, before taking on Magnolia on April 3 to wrap up its elimination round campaign.ADVERTISEMENT Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Galanza has been playing his best basketball for the Road Warriors after he spent his first two seasons mostly on Columbian’s bench.He then opted to play in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League after his contract expired and it was there in the MPBL where he made noise that was loud enough to be heard by NLEX.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsGalanza found a home at NLEX, which picked him up last season in the 2018 Governors’ Cup and the former University of the East captain has been rewarding the Road Warriors’ faith in him with his noteworthy performance early in the season.The 26-year-old Isabela native averaged 16 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals in NLEX’s back-to-back wins over Alaska and Blackwater to earn the PBA Press Corps Player of the Week. Christmas Eve chaos in Hong Kong as police and protesters clash PLAY LIST 01:17Christmas Eve chaos in Hong Kong as police and protesters clash00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japanese Olympic Committee head resigns amid bribery scandal Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? MOST READ
Legislators in the House of Representatives are concerned about the future of Liberian children as the closure of schools in the country continues due to the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).As the Ebola virus spread uncontrollably throughout the country, the Liberian government through the Education Ministry in July ordered the closure of all schools until otherwise notified.The legislators said that the closure of educational institutions due to Ebola is troubling and worry that the previous 14 years of civil strife had already put Liberian children behind academically. Being cognizant that education is the key to development and provides the skills and competencies students require in order to become productive participants in the country’s economic and social development, the legislators are seeking a way forward to reopen the nation’s schools.Members of the House of Representatives have unanimously voted for Education and Health Ministers Etmonia David Tarpeh and Dr. Walter Gwenigale to be summoned to discuss the conditions for reopening the schools.The two officials are to appear before the Committees on Health and Education on Thursday and thereafter the Committees will later report to the House Plenary.The Committees’ judgment to invite the Education and Health Ministers was due to the mandate from the Plenary predicated upon a communication from Rivercess County Lawmaker, Rep. Francis S. Paye, to find a way forward to reopen the schools.Rep. Paye hopes that Min. Tarpeh can provide the Health and Education Committee a briefing on current developments within the educational sector. “This, we believe, would also allow the Education Minister to hold consultations with other stakeholders for amicable solutions,” wrote Rep. Paye.However, Grand Bassa County Representative Gabriel B. Smith amended the motion for the inclusion of Health Minister Dr. Walter Gwenigale which was accepted by his fellow lawmakers.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Blizzard Bike club held it’s 24 annual club championship yesterday, and no surprise here, as Robin Baillie wins his third straight championship, it was close though, as Robin had to win a sprint to the finish against young buck Colter Young. A close race for third as well, and that was won by Pat Ferris, just ahead of Darren Guliov. Now that was the 90 k distance, in the 45 k, it was the Andrews boys finishing 1-2, Bob Andrews with the win, Simon Andrews in second, with Rod Lewis in third, and Sandy MacDonald in fourth. Now, one guy who wasn’t in the field was Billy Bucknall, he was in Idaho racing in the Couer D’Alene Ironman, and placing 30th in his class, finishing in a time of 10 hours and 25 minutes – not a bad time at all.- Advertisement – And, a few blizzards made big splashes at the fort Nelson triathlon – this is an Olympic distance triathlon – perfect for Kathryn Fairweather, who won the 20-29 year old females category, Kathryn was just ahead of Barb Polehoykie who won the 40-49 year old female class (and also won a BBQ for her efforts), and Gord Harris also had a first place finish, winning the 50-59 males division. So BBC riders cleaning up in Fort Nelson.
0Shares0000Marseille captain Dimitri Payet hobbled off injured in the first half as his side lost the Europa League final to Atletico Madrid on Wednesday © AFP / Boris HORVATParis, France, May 17 – Marseille star Dimitri Payet was left out of France’s World Cup squad announced by coach Didier Deschamps on Thursday, completing a miserable 24 hours for the playmaker.The former West Ham United player was forced off with a hamstring injury in the first half of Marseille’s Europa League final defeat against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, and that fitness doubt persuaded Deschamps to leave him out of the squad of 23. “Dimitri Payet was a serious candidate for a place in the squad. He played the first half-hour (against Atletico), but he aggravated his injury, and the recovery time needed for that type of injury is three weeks,” Deschamps said after revealing his squad live on television station TF1’s evening news programme.“But as it is a muscle injury, there is a risk of a relapse.”Payet was one of France’s stars at Euro 2016, when they reached the final as hosts before losing to Portugal.But he has also fallen victim to the number of attacking options available to Deschamps, who did call up Payet’s Marseille team-mate Florian Thauvin along with Lyon captain Nabil Fekir.Elsewhere, Manchester City left-back Benjamin Mendy was called up despite having hardly featured for Pep Guardiola’s side since returning from a serious knee injury.“It always seems impossible until it’s done”, wrote Mendy on Twitter.Antoine Griezmann will lead the attack, fresh from scoring twice for Atletico in the Europa League final.Key names such as goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba, Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud and young Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe all feature.“I dreamed of participating in this World Cup like all the children who will watch this World Cup,” said the 19-year-old Mbappe.“But now it’s a reality and I will work during training to be the best performer possible to help the team.”However, Arsenal’s Alexandre Lacazette has to settle for a place as one of 11 players on a standby list, who could be called up in the event of injuries.Deschamps has until June 4 before submitting his definitive squad list.Another player to miss out was Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny, who ruptured an Achilles tendon playing against Atletico in the Europa League semi-finals.Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema’s international exile goes on — he has not played for France since October 2015 after being accused of involvement in a blackmail affair involving a sextape.“Two years have passed. I have put my faith in players who have responded to that, and the squad comes before everything else,” Deschamps said.“I make decisions for the good of the France team.”France open their World Cup campaign against Australia in the Russian city of Kazan on June 16, before also taking on Peru and Denmark in Group C.Before heading to Russia, they will play three home friendlies, starting against the Republic of Ireland at the Stade de France on May 28.They will then take on Italy in Nice on June 1 and the United States on June 9.France squadGoalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain)Defenders: Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City/ENG), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart/GER), Adil Rami (Marseille), Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona/ESP), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid/ESP)Midfielders: N’Golo Kante (Chelsea/ENG), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus/ITA), Steven N’Zonzi (Sevilla/ESP), Paul Pogba (Manchester United/ENG), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich/GER)Forwards: Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona/ESP), Nabil Fekir (Lyon), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea/ENG), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Florian Thauvin (Marseille)0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Gor Mahia duo Ephraim Guikan and Innocent WafulaNAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 5- Gor Mahia squeezed into the Quarter Finals of the CECAFA Kagame Cup on Thursday with a 2-0 win over Djibouti’s Ports courtesy of first half goals from Philemon Otieno and defender Charles Momanyi.But, even as Gor made it to the last eight of the regional competition, the screaming absence of midfield creative Francis Kahata raised eyebrows coming at a time when he is heavily linked with a move to Tanzanian champions Simba SC. 0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) After back to back draws against Rwanda’s Rayon Sport and Burundi’s Lydia Ludic, head coach Dylan Kerr was vocal of Kahata’s concentration in the tournament.“I think Francis is being derailed and unsettled by all the talk of moving to Simba and he is not playing at his best,” Kerr told local media after the draw against Ludic.And, Kerr might have just thrown down the hammer on the former Thika United midfielder who has enjoyed two glorious seasons at Gor by completely living him out of the 18 that walked out of the tunnel to play Ports.Heading into the match against Ports, Gor needed a win at all costs to guarantee themselves a place in the quarters after back to back draws.Head coach Dylan Kerr made changes, Boniface Oluoch returning in goal in place of Shabaan Odhoji while midfield workhorse Ernest Wendo earned his place back in the middle of the Gor pack.And they started just as they had wished with Otieno scoring his second goal in the tournament from the edge of the box after quarter of an hour with a low shot that found the keeper off his feet.Momanyi then cemented the win before half time with a simple header inside the box. Gor lived dangerously in the second half with Oluoch time and again called to duty, but they just managed to hold on to the win.Gor finished top of the group on five points on account of goal difference with Rayon coming in second also with five points after beating Lydia Ludic 3-1.
Former Newcastle striker Micky Quinn believes John Carver should step down as manager – following another disastrous result.The Magpies were humbled 3-0 at Leicester City on Saturday, making it eight defeats in a row, and finished the game with nine men, after both Mike Williamson and Darryl Janmaat received their marching orders.During the post-match press conference Carver claimed former Portsmouth defender Williamson had been sent off deliberately.And Quinn, who played more than 100 times for the north east club, insists it’s time for Carver to leave the St James’ Park top job.“John Carver has knifed his own player in the back,” he told talkSPORT. “Carver believes he [Williamson] has got sent off on purpose.“I don’t think he got sent off on purpose. I think it was just a stupid rash challenge, straight after getting a yellow card. He should have dealt with it in house.“He’s slagging everyone off. If he really does love that football club then he has to look at himself and think, ‘I’m not good enough’.“Carver has thrown his players under the bus. He’s publically slating them, what does that do for morale when your back is against the wall and you’re fighting for survival.”
Donegal death notices for today, Friday, October 13. Bernard HARKINThe death has occurred of Bernard Harkin, late of Maidstone, Kent, England and formerly Urrismanagh, Urris, Clonmany. Reposing at the residence of his brother Sammy & sister-in-law Breda Harkin, Urrismanagh, Urris, Clonmany from 2.30pm on Thursday 12th October. Removal on Saturday, 14th October at 10.40am to St Michael’s Church, Urris, Clonmany for 11am Funeral Mass followed by burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery. House Private please from 11pm until 10am. Bernard TOLANDThe death has taken place at Letterkenny University Hospital of Bernard Toland, Carndoe, Carndonagh. Removal from Eternal Light Chapel of Rest, Mountain Top, Letterkenny took place on Wednesday, October 11th, at 4pm going to his late residence.Funeral leaving his late residence on Saturday at 10.15am to the Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh for Requiem Mass at 11am with interment afterwards in the adjoining cemetery. Family time please from 10pm – 10am. Tara CAMERONThe death has occurred of Tara Cameron, 4 Summerhill, Buncrana, Donegal.Funeral mass took place this morning in the Oratory, Buncrana at 10am with burial afterwards in Cockhill Graveyard.Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace was last modified: October 13th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:obituaries
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell earned a fraction of his $44 million salary this week at a Super Bowl news conference and disinformation jamboree in Atlanta.If you blinked, you missed it.According to TMZ, Goodell was addressing reporters and a few NFL owners when he was asked about Colin Kaepernick’s enforced idleness. Kaepernick, the former 49ers quarterback who in 2016 founded the silent take-a-knee protest — which created consternation up to and including the highest office in the land — …