ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): Former West Indies fast bowler, Sir Curtly Ambrose, said Antiguan pacer Alzarri Joseph should be promoted to the senior set-up on the basis of his ability and not his age. Joseph picked up 13 wickets to help West Indies win the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Bangladesh earlier this month. The 19-year-old pacer grabbed three for 39 off 10 overs to inspire West Indies to a five-wicket win over India in the final. “I believe that age has nothing to do with if you are ready or not,” declared Ambrose. “Sachin Tendulkar, one of the greatest players ever, made his Test debut when he was 15 or 16-years-old, when I figured he should have been in school and look how turned out.” During the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup, Joseph delivered the fastest ball in the tournament at 91.5 mph and bowled consistently around the high 80s-90 mph. He removed the stumps in four of his 13 wickets, had three lbw decisions, while three of his victims were caught by wicketkeeper Tevin Imlach off tentative edges. “So what you are telling me is that if Alzarri is doing well at age 19, and we think he can get the job done, why wait until he is 22?,” asked Ambrose, who claimed 405 Test scalps in 98 matches and 205 wickets in 172 one-day internationals. “By then he may just lose focus or say, ‘I am fed up’.” The powerfully built, 6 ft 4in Joseph hit helmet and gloves with his pace and bounce in Bangladesh to unsettle batsmen and trigger prospects of a revival in West Indies fast bowling. He bowled with similar intensity to claim seven for 46 against Windward Islands last November. “Alzarri still has a lot to learn, he has pace, which is good, but I figure that whenever I go close enough to him to sit and talk about cricket I would let him know that pace is good because you can intimidate people,” said Ambrose. “But to be able to consistently put the ball in the right area is the key and the foundation to being a great fast bowler.” Joseph returns to regional action for the Leeward Islands Hurricanes when they take on Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in Trinidad on Friday. – CMC
The management of the National Transit Authority (NTA) has accepted liability for the deaths of six persons in the tragic motor accident involving one of its buses at the Gbarnga and Ganta highway.An NTA press release has promised that its insurance partners and the Liberian National Police are working together to bring closure to the tragedy.Bus No. 5138 left Monrovia on Tuesday at 8:00am and headed for Ganta, Nimba County with a crew consisted of Robert F. Lamie (driver) and Saymon Jarwleah (conductor) that departed Paynesville, Red Light with 68 passengers, including women and children, the release explained.According to NTA, the operator Lamie experienced the tragic motor accident around Zeanzue in Bong County.Although the NTA said it is still investigating the the cause of the accident, eye witnesses who helped rescue surviving passengers from the capsized bus in Zeanzue, Bong County told the Daily Observer that passengers had complained that the driver was drank alcohol. “Some of the victims told us that the driver was drunk and driving too fast,” said a source who wished to remain anonymous. “When they told him to stop, he said he knew the road and that was the best option for him.” As a result of the event, NTA said, “We lost six commuters and several others sustained major and minor injuries.” The NTA statement said, upon hearing the disturbing information, other commuters and advanced team worked frantically to remove the dead and injured from the wreckage.“Six Liberian commuters died during the incident and 55 sustained injuries and are currently in Phebe Hospital undergoing medical treatment,” the NTA said.On the same day, Phebe hospital treated and discharged 30 commuters, the release said, noting that information will be released to the public as it unfolds.“As we face this national catastrophe, we pray and remain in empathy with those Liberians who lost their lives in the tragedy,” the release quoted NPA management.Meanwhile officers of the Liberian National Police and NTA accident investigation team are currently carrying out investigations to establish the cause of the incident.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Finance Ministry has approved some $460M to undertake emergency works on the sea defence at Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara (ECD), a statement from the Public Infrastructure Ministry revealed.The sea defence was partly damaged during the spring tide from July 31 to August 4, 2019.More details in the Wednesday, August 07, 2019 edition of the Guyana Times.
The five careers highlighted in the booklet include electricians, truck drivers, power engineers, and oil and gas labours/operators, according to client service manger with Employment Connections Jeannette Karasiuk.“As well, there’s a section in the booklet on Site C and what are the occupations and demands they will have, and LNG,” says Karasiuk.All of these career paths have been specifically chosen as a result of research they’ve conducted that identifies exiting training issues and potential gaps in the Peace region workforce, according to Employment Connections.- Advertisement -“We’ve forecasted and we’ve looked at all of the areas, like where do you go to school for training, what are the tickets, what are the requirements, what are the prerequisites?” Karasiuk goes on to explain. “It’s kind of a one-stop-tool to help people in one of those five occupations.”You can grab your own copy of the free booklet by dropping by the local Employment Connections’ office, located on 101 99 Avenue, at Northern Lights College, located on 9820 120 Avenue, or download the PDF by following this link.
1 Alderweireld tussles with Hazard Southampton boss Ronald Koeman has reiterated his desire to keep defender Toby Alderweireld at St Mary’s beyond his loan spell but denied he has been offered a deal.The 25-year-old is on a season-long loan stint from Spanish giants Atletico Madrid and has impressed with a series of strong performances for Koeman’s high-flying south coast outfit.And according to reports, the Saints have offered Alderweireld a four-year contract to stay in England after his Atletico deal expires in the summer.However, Koeman has revealed he is not sure whether a contract offer is on the table for the versatile defender.Speaking ahead of his team’s FA Cup clash against Ipswich Town on Sunday, the Dutchman said: “Yes I know I spoke to Toby. I would like him to stay but I don’t know if the club have already made an offer for him.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “You always know rather quickly who has real ability,” Kulick said. “A lot of people come here because it’s their rock ‘n’ roll fantasy, but there are always a few who are serious, and are here because they want to learn from the best.” Seeley, a drummer from England, saved for a year to make the trip. “I think it was all worth it just to meet Roger Daltrey, but it was in the back of my mind from the moment I got to L.A. that this is where I want to be,” Seeley said. “I’m going back to England but have made some arrangements to return in April.” Now in its seventh session, the Rock ‘n Roll Fantasy Camp is the brainchild of David Fishof, a 25-year industry veteran from New York. “I enjoy this more than anything I’ve ever done. I’d do it for free,” Fishof said. “In fact, I did do it for free the first few times because it didn’t make any money. Now it’s making a little money, but I do it out of love because the important thing is how much the campers enjoy it.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Starting with an audition last Thursday, about 100 of us lived and breathed music and its various tangents for five days and nights, rehearsing at SIR and Swing House studios in Hollywood before our concert at the famed House of Blues on Sunset Strip. A singer by default because I don’t play an instrument, I asked Bad Company/Free drummer Simon Kirke to back me up on his band’s signature hit, “Alright Now,” and he agreed. But Kirke must not have heard me correctly because once we got up on stage, he sang lead, too, with me nervously standing in front of the microphone trying to keep up. Afterward, some of my fellow campers congratulated me on my performance. But it was Kirke, not I, whose voice they had heard, and I held no illusions about my talent, or lack thereof. It was soon decided I would work as a backup vocalist and percussionist – not a lead singer. So on Monday, I got to play tambourine and sing backup for legendary rocker Daltrey of The Who. Most of the campers haven’t played much either, so a novice on guitar or drums can prove more grating than a backup singer/tambourine player. Soon it was apparent, frankly, that I was not the worst in our nine-member band, and the first couple of rehearsals were like a train wreck. Slowly, things began to come together, and after a while we actually found the groove and were at least starting and ending the songs at the same time. “It’s always rough in the beginning but we always get better and better, and that’s why I love it,” said our guitarist, Mike DiMano, a returnee. “It’s like a big party.” Endurance was an issue as we practiced for six hours a day over two sessions. The first ego conflict involved the band name. I knew we’d be playing one big show on one big night, so I came up with One Night Stand or Overnight Sensation but was overruled in favor of L.A. Addiction. Nearly all the 103 campers at this year’s session had flown in from distant cities and foreign countries, and they were infatuated with Hollywood. Perhaps what made the whole event so special was being surrounded by people who simply were doing what they loved. “It’s been amazing. It was a chance of a lifetime to sing Journey’s ‘Don’t Stop Believin” with my guitar idol, Neal Schon,” Fiore said. “It was probably the most memorable experience I’ve ever had.” Showtime for our group was nervous time at the House of Blues. We forgot our choreography. We didn’t have enough microphones. And for some stupid reason, I started off by hitting the offbeat instead of following the snare drum as we had during rehearsals. But a massive crowd was cheering as we broke into “Substitute”- it helps to have Roger Daltrey at your side – and for just one moment, I really did feel like a rock star. Gerry Gittelson, (661) 257-5218 firstname.lastname@example.org FANTASY CAMP Rock ‘N Roll Fantasy Camp costs $8,500 and includes attendance for five days and nights, 10-plus hours of daily jamming and instruction, 13 meals with campers and celebrity musicians, DVD of camp highlights, welcome bag, travel to and from camp events and Battle of the Bands at The House of Blues on the Sunset Strip. For information, call (888) ROC BAND or see www.rockandrollfantasycamp.com. WEST HOLLYWOOD – For five days, we were rock stars – doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, clergymen and this sports reporter – shedding routines for the chance to live our fantasy. It was the annual Rock ‘n Roll Fantasy Camp, where wannabes – from those with stars in their eyes to middle-age guys escaping real life – pay $8,500 for the chance to perform with members of Kiss, Journey, Styx, Cheap Trick, the Cars and the Grateful Dead. For a few, the camp was more than a fantasy. Still young and with aspirations to make it as musicians, 20-year-olds Will Seeley and Fiore (just a one-word name like Cher or Madonna) took the camp seriously because this is what they want to do. Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick worked with the pair and said it was refreshing to see such young, wide-eyed passion.
Dry Arch Inn Weekend Picture Special: Since re-opening a couple of years ago The Dry Arch Inn has been an incredible success. Its popularity continues to expand with the bar regularly providing top-class entertainment for its customers to enjoy.Every weekend the bar is busy and the music they provide caters for all ages, so there’s the perfect balance for everybody at The Dry Arch Inn. Above are a selection of brilliant images from the weekend which captures everyone enjoying themselves and having a good time.Check out The Dry Arch Inn’s Facebook for more details on upcoming gigs in the bar.https://www.facebook.com/dryarch.inn?fref=ts WEEKEND PICTURE SPECIAL FROM THE DRY ARCH INN was last modified: January 25th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Dry Arch InnEntertainmentFeaturesnewspicture special
Lille have had an £8m offer accepted for Manchester United and West Ham target Kevin Malcuit.According to L’Equipe, St Etienne have finally accepted the bid after weeks of negotiations with their fellow Ligue 1 club.It will come as bad news to the two Premier League sides, who have both been heavily linked with the right-back over the past few months.But he looks set to stay in France after agreeing a five-year deal at Lille, where he will now undergo a medical test before the switch is rubber-stamped. 1 Kevin Malcuit in action for St Etienne
Following loan spells at Celtic and West Ham he moved his family to Los Angeles, where he spent “five hugely successful and rewarding years, both on and off the field, with LA Galaxy”.Keane added: “To all those who believed in me, supported me and picked me up when I needed a hand, you can never know how much that has all meant.“It was an honour to represent you.” Keane played for the likes of Wolves, Tottenham, Inter Milan, Leeds, Liverpool and LA Galaxy in a storied career.But he is best-known for his time with Spurs, where he scored 120 goals across two spells, interrupted by a brief and a less successful stint at Liverpool.The striker arrived in England with Wolves aged just 15 and made his senior debut in 1997, moving on to Coventry for £6million after two seasons in the first team.Further moves followed, to Inter Milan (£13m) and Leeds (£12m) before he spent six years at White Hart Lane.“I had the great privilege to represent and captain Tottenham over 238 games,” he said.“I had many wonderful times there and I will look back on my days at White Hart Lane with great fondness. The club will always hold a special place in my heart.” Robbie Keane is a legend of Irish football Robbie Keane was a hero at White Hart Lane, where his trademark celebration was a familiar sight 3 Robbie Keane has formerly announced his retirement as a player, having been appointed assistant coach of the Republic of Ireland team.The former Tottenham and Liverpool striker has hung up his boots to take on his first coaching role under new Ireland manager Mick McCarthy. 3 3 The 38-year-old captained his country for a decade and ended his international career in 2016 as Ireland’s all-time top scorer with 68 international goals.He netted 325 goals in 737 appearances for ten different clubs during a 23-year playing career.“Today, after 23 wonderful years, I am formally announcing my retirement as a professional footballer,” Keane said in a statement.“From Crumlin United around the world to the likes of Milan, London and Los Angeles, I could never have imagined the path my football life would take.“It has exceeded all the hopes I had as a football-mad boy growing up in Dublin.”New Republic boss McCarthy appointed Keane as his assistant last week alongside Terry Connor, following the recent departure of Martin O’Neill.“Playing and captaining my country has been the highlight of my career,” he said.“I enjoyed every moment of the most incredible journey with the Ireland team over an 18-year period and as I have said many times before, words cannot express how proud I am to be Irish.” Keane scored seven goals in 28 appearances for Liverpool before returning to Spurs after just six months at Anfield
An Inishowen man has pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death.Daniel Coyle, 28, appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court.Coyle, of Clar, Redcastle is in a wheelchair as a result of the accident which happened on April 19th, 2009. The accident at Clar, Redcastle, resulted in the death of another man Hugh Donegan.Cole, who suffered brain damage as a result of the crash, also admitted to driving without insurance and driving without a driving license.State prosecutor Ms Patricia McLaughlin requested a victim impact statement from the late Mr Donegan’s family.Judge Donagh McDonagh adjourned the case until July.INISHOWEN MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO DANGEROUS DRIVING CAUSING DEATH was last modified: May 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dangerous driving causing deathDonal CoyleLetterkenny Circuit Court