Tags: building, Campus Crossroads, Construction, weather, WInter Construction crews for the Campus Crossroads project made progress on initial construction steps and excavations around the stadium after the least snowy December in South Bend’s recorded history.“The construction team took advantage of this great fortune and worked six to seven days a week in anticipation of the onset of more typical winter weather, which, of course, began last week,” Associate vice president and University architect Doug Marsh said. “Formal construction work has proceeded well in the 50 calendar days since the end of the home football season.”Marsh said the winter work involves several “major earthwork activities.” Crews are relocating many underground utilities such as sewers, water service, electrical feeders, chilled water and drainage, and they are constructing new utilities tunnels along both the west and east sides, he said.Excavation of the student center basement began, and they installed “an extensive span of permanent earth retention system” on the west and east edges of the existing stadium system to secure the existing foundations, Marsh said. They have also installed temporary earth retention walls that will provide a platform for the mobile cranes which will be built later in the winter to erect the structural steel frames for the student center and academic buildings on the west and east sides.As the crew works on initial construction of the buildings’ foundation walls and footings, Marsh said the design team is still working out the details for the interior portions of the project.So far, construction is right on schedule and in line with the budget, University spokesman Dennis Brown said.“The ebbs and flows of weather are built into construction timelines,” he said. “This year’s pattern has made no significant difference on the time frame or budget for the project, one way or the other.”The website construction.nd.edu provides updates on parking and pedestrian/vehicle traffic. According to the site, the University’s two free campus shuttles have expanded their hours as of Jan. 5 to run continuously from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays to help people “navigate several major construction projects across campus and related parking adjustments.”The limited pedestrian walkways on the east and west sides of the stadium remain the same as those set before break. On the east, a temporary walkway allows access to Gates 1 and 2 of the Joyce Center, and on the west, pedestrians can use the DeBartolo Quad walkways or walk through the Mendoza College of Business and DeBartolo Hall.
Femi Solaja with agency reportThere are strong indications that Spanish giants, FC Barcelona, are on the pursuit of a Nigerian-born Karim Adeyemi who is been touted to be among the next generation Lionel Messi for the club.According to Spanish outlet, Mundo Deportivo, the Catalans are eyeing a move for FC Liefering’s young sensation who is just 17 yeard old and has an incredible record in Austria’s second tier. The youngster had so far scored five goals and assisted four in nine league games. Karim Adeyemi Adeyemi, who was born in Munich, Germany to a Nigerian father and a Romanian mother, actually belongs to Red Bull Salzburg and represents their U-19 side in the UEFA Youth League where he scored twice with one of the goals against Liverpool’s U-19 team.Barcelona are believed to be impressed with the Nigerian qualities and compare him to Ansu Fati.The club could try to secure his signing as soon as January. The young German is said to be a personal bet of La Masia Director Patrick Kluivert.The initial plan is to secure the starlet in the winter market and send him to train with Barca B until he’s ready for first-team promotion.However, the only thing that could spoil Barca’s plans is the alleged €8m price tag Red Bull Salzburg have put on the 17-year-old. Considering Adeyemi’s potential, the Austrians are not ready to let him go for peanuts.Only recently, Nigeria lost the chance to have the duo of Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to play for Super Eagles. The duo opted for England.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters The 6-foot-10 Italian forward – a career 37.4 percent 3-point shooter – is shooting 42.6 percent from the arc this season, the second-best rate of his nine-year NBA tenure, oft-interrupted by injury.“The best part about Gal is his confidence,” Rivers said(To his point, Gallinari last week mused about Luca Doncic’s assertion that it was harder to score in Europe than in the NBA by reasoning: “To me, it’s easy to score all over the world.”)“He’ll tell you, ‘People forgot how good I was’ ” Rivers said. “And I always correct: ‘I don’t like the was. Am.’ That’s what I tell him. Because he is, he’s a heck of a basketball player.” The return they got in the trade has helped them stay the course, including rookie guard Landry Shamet, who entered the game against the Lakers shooting 46.6 percent from 3-point range and averaging 12.4 points in his nine games with the Clippers.Mike Muscala also was part of the deal and was then shipped to the Lakers for center Ivica Zubac, who came in Monday averaging 8.6 points and 7.7 rebounds as a Clipper.“It’s an interesting group,” Rivers said. “We took a hit when we made that trade, it was a tough day for our team. And to get them back up, to get them to believe, ‘No, we’re gonna win still and we’re trying to win still,’ and for them to start doing it just tells you how resilient they are.”THE ROOSTER CROWSDanilo Gallinari – aka “Il Gallo,” which translates to “the Rooster” – made his 1,000th career 3-pointer with 5:23 left in the second quarter.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates LOS ANGELES — When the Clippers traded leading scorer Tobias Harris (and Boban Marjanovic and Mike Scott) to the Philadelphia 76ers on Feb. 6, the working theory outside the organization was that the team would go on to miss the playoffs and thereby retain the lottery-protected first-round draft pick that otherwise is due to be sent to the Boston Celtics.Coach Doc Rivers, like the members of the team’s front office, denied that, contending that it was still very much their intention to make the playoffs.A month later, the Clippers remain in the postseason picture, entering Monday’s game against the 10th-place Lakers in seventh place in the Western Conference.So, no, they really aren’t tanking. What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory “I don’t know that word,” Rivers said before Monday’s matchup. “That was never gonna happen. We may have lost, but we weren’t gonna tank.“We didn’t need to, either,” Rivers continued, adding that even if the Clippers miss the playoffs and keep the draft pick after this season, they’d lose it the following year if they make the playoffs next season.“The whole message on that draft pick thing was we’re gonna lose it one year or the next year, so it’s going one way or the other.”If anything, Rivers said, all the speculation helped fuel the Clippers’ fire.“I think people didn’t believe we could do it (make the playoffs), either, if we wanted to,” he said. “And I thought that talk helped us because that was a challenge, and this is a group, they take pretty well to challenges.” Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum