ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): The West Indies Cricket Board said on Wednesday it plans to pump more than half a million United States dollars into the women’s game, a move that will see an increase in player-retainer contracts and fees starting next month. In a media release, the regional governing body for the sport said it would move the number of player retainer contracts from 11 to 15, and would also augment sponsorship payments, match fees and captains’ allowances. The increases are set to cost the board US$600,000, an injection of cash which chief executive Michael Muirhead believes will stimulate the women’s game. “We are hoping this new package will serve as an additional incentive for the current set of women, and will serve as a drawing card to more women to be attracted to cricket,” said the Jamaican, who relinquishes the post next month. The deal was hammered out along with the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) and, according to the WICB, it will also benefit non-retained players as well. Former West Indies batsman Wavell Hinds, the current WIPA president and CEO, said the new compensation package for the women is “well deserved”. “Our women’s senior team has been a solid elite performing group over the last decade. As such, the improvement and security in their compensation package are well deserved,” Hinds said.
…says caution statement interviews now being recordedOften times when prisoners appear at the Georgetown, Wales and Leonora Magistrate’s Courts and other courts across the country, on varying offences, they claim that they were beaten by Police ranks who allegedly forced them to sign confession statements, admitting to carrying out crimes for which they were accused. These are, however, not fresh claims as investigative ranks have beenCrime Chief Paul Williamslong accused of inflicting such acts to garner information.Acting Crime Chief Paul Williams who spoke to media operatives at a recent Police event earlier this week was asked if he was aware of any investigation into the claims that ranks attached to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) have been beating detainees to obtain information. In response, Williams denied knowledge of such incidents since acting in his position for the last few months. He also maintained that his CID subordinates are capable enough of garnering what they require without reverting to acts of assault.“I know under my watch, nobody will be beaten, because we have what it takes. I have capable and competent people who can do good interviewing and investigation, so there’s no need for us to move to the extreme where we would have to get physical to extort any information from any person,” he said on Monday.He further stated that he will take it upon himself to ensure that beatings do not occur. “No Magistrate has ever asked or ordered for me to conduct any investigation where persons alleged that they were beaten,” the acting Crime Chief disclosed.Williams further informed the public that much of the training received from the Canadian-based Justice Education Society (JES) with Magistrates and Judges; it was recommended that interviews with detained persons be recorded while being conducted. It was revealed that caution statements are being taken with cameras present.“At the end of it, if people want to deny the credibility and also the weight and authenticity of those confessions, the camera is there to show because everything is being done consistently,” stressed the acting Crime Chief.In February, the men accused of murdering a cellphone card dealer on the Corentyne had accused Police of brutalising them at the Albion and Whim Police Stations. The Canadian Justice Education Society has collaborated with key international partners, and have facilitated detective training programmes geared at building and strengthening the justice system in Guyana.