Author :All posts by admin

first_imgThe Storm released a brief statement regarding the incident.”Melbourne Storm player, Shem Tatupu, was struck by a car on Monday night while crossing the road on Olympic Boulevard after training,” the statement read.”Players and staff were at the scene and immediately called an ambulance.”Thankfully Shem has been cleared of any serious injury and is expected to be discharged from hospital in the coming days.”The Club would like to thank the members of the public who were in the area at the time and who came to the assistance of players and staff and offered help.”The one-time Hawthorn Hawks AFL player is the son of former Warriors players Tony Tatupu.last_img read more

first_imgWith veteran big man Ben Matulino set to miss the opening rounds of the season, following surgery on his left knee in January, there is an opening in the engine room for the Kiwi club.While Jacob Lillyman and Albert Vete are the probable starters, the Warriors have tended to carry three props on their bench in recent times, creating an opportunity for one of their youngsters to earn a spot on the interchange alongside likely candidates Sam Lisone and Charlie Gubb.”They all put their hand up and it’s been a good learning curve for the likes of Isaiah Papalii and Toafofoa Sipley,” Wiki said.”They are knocking on the door of first grade, so hopefully they can learn from this and move on.”It’s just about them putting their best foot forward to show Stephen they can match it in the NRL.”Last year Sipley made his NRL Telstra Premiership debut, playing two matches off the interchange following strong form in the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side, while Papalii is yet to play past Holden Cup level, where he appeared in 11 matches for the Junior Warriors in 2016.Speaking ahead of his appearance for the World All Stars in Friday night’s clash against the Indigenous All Stars, Lisone said the props at the Warriors were enjoying the internal competition for places.”‘Mooks’ (coach Stephen Kearney) has got a few of us having a run in there, there’s a lot of competition coming through,” Lisone said.”Tof Sipley and Isaiah Papalii are putting some pressure on me, Albert and Charlie.”I thought Isaiah played really well for a young team [at the Nines].”Both Sipley and Papalii have been named in the Warriors’ squad for this Saturday’s trial match against the Melbourne Storm at Sunshine Coast Stadium.last_img read more

first_imgGame 3, the main game of the day, was the clash of the Titans showdown when the premiers Tamaraws played the Exodus in a nail-biting encounter that kept the crowd cheering until the final whistle in the 4th quarter.The Exodus, with a clean defense, held off the keen Tamaraws’ attack as they fiercely tried to penetrate their wall.However, the champions, not wanting to taint their reputation, kept breathing through every little space found in the Exodus keyhole. This resulted in them coming out on top with a 5-point lead to beat Exodus 90-85.In other earlier matches, Saints thumped Jokers 80-72 whilst Flames crushed Chariots with an outstanding match point of 105-67.last_img read more

first_imgAngel Torres, president of Getafe, has granted an interview on the program Tot Costa de Catalunya Radio in the previous duel between his team and Barcelona next weekend. In addition, the president has talked about the situation of Ángel Rodríguez and the alleged interest of the Blaugrana entity in the. For the moment has not received any communication of the possibility of purchase, but do not rule out accepting it if the conditions are met.The Barcelona: “I can’t deny a boy to go to a big team like Barça. Barça can’t be told no, if they ask a player or a sports director. I’ve also asked them once. The termination clause (ten million euros) would not be a problem. “ Relationship with the club: “I have a direct thread with Bartomeu and Ramon Planes, but I have no news or any indication that they are going to sign Angel. It does not give me the feeling that he will be the chosen one, but, in any case, on Saturday we will see each other and maybe then there is surprise, although I don’t think so. If so, what has to happen will happen. “Conversations with the player: “I told him to be calm. He knows the relationship I have with the people of Barcelona and that there was nothing, that many names were going to come out. Who would not like to go to Barça?”last_img read more

first_imgTrincao revealed that Griezmann was the first Barça player with whom he spoke because he contacted him: “I spoke to Griezmann, who sent me a message. He wrote: let’s go caralho”. Then he defined himself: “Mentally, I am a strong player. I seek to make goals and assists. I have a good one-on-one and I try to make assists. Since I was a child, when I watched the games I imagined playing at Barça. I think my style of play mixes well with Barça. “ Francisco Trincao (29-12-1999), player of Sporting de Braga who will be from Barça from June until 2025, was the protagonist of the ‘Live call’ that the Barça team makes weekly. Trincao, for whom Barça has paid 31 million euros (and will have a clause of 500), attended the official media from his home, where he is confined with his parents, his sister and his dog, Summer. “It will be a pride to wear the shirt of the best club in the world. I have many to know the players. We are talking about the best players in the world and of course I want to share the wardrobe with them. My family was happy when they heard the news of the signing And they asked me to be myself. Playing with Messi is a pride. I really want to meet him, to be able to play with him. He is one of the best players in the world. ” Of course, when they asked him for a reference in football, he did not want to define himself. Portuguese and culé …, he had to be careful: “They are Messi and Cristiano”.last_img read more

first_img“It may possibly have an effect on you to exit and not see a fan, despite the fact that you recognize it is a vital match, however your thoughts and physique let you know that it is sort of a coaching match. That may lead to dangerous performances. It provides a foul feeling, “he added. The previous striker predicts that “there will likely be groups that undergo” for taking part in behind closed doors.Werner and UpamecanoBerbatov took benefit of the truth that the return of the Bundesliga for subsequent week has already been made official to applaud the group of the German league. “The Germans are all the time main and displaying how issues have to be finished. I have a loopy need that all the things goes splendidly as deliberate in order that different championships will comply with, “he wished.Bayer Leverkusen legend, in his evaluation asks {that a} particular follow-up be finished to Leipzig and two of its gamers: Timo Werner and Dayot Upamecano. “They’re two gamers who’re going to appeal to quite a lot of consideration. I hope they comply as a result of there will likely be quite a lot of nice attentive groups, corresponding to Actual Madrid, Barcelona, ​​Manchester United or Bayern Munich. Will probably be tough for Leipzig to retain them ”, concluded his evaluation in unique statements. Dimitar Berbatov, legend of Manchester United, Tottenham or Bayer Leverkusen amongst others, has valued in unique statements to Betfair what it will probably imply to play behind closed doors as will occur in most main leagues when these championships are resumed. The previous striker believes that will have a damaging impression (though vital) and use a really particular instance: “Liverpool absolutely would not have come back to Barcelona if the sport from a yr in the past had been performed behind closed doors this week”.Berbatov believes that in that duel the general public was key. “It was decisive, sure, I discover it tough to think about what it would have been like with out individuals. Clearly, it occurred because it did and it was one of many greatest comebacks in historical past. So Liverpool deserves all my respect, “he added.The Bulgarian believes that “the Barcelona gamers should stroll a yr later questioning how on earth occurred to them what occurred to them … scoring three targets at Camp Nou after which shedding the tie at Anfield … though they have additionally starred in nice comebacks, such because the PSG. It’s topical, however in soccer typically you lose and typically you win ”, he added.Matches as exercises Berbatov is aware of what it’s to play related matches behind closed doors. “I performed towards Roma with Bayer Leverkusen in Italy behind closed doors. And I didn’t prefer it in any respect. You might see that the 2 groups felt the identical. It appeared like a coaching match … solely it was the Champions League and also you had to encourage your self greater than ever exactly due to that, “provides a Berbatov who scored in that match” as a result of I ate my head pondering that none of that mattered, that I had to play and win because it have been ”.last_img read more

first_img He also competes in the shot put, where he has a personal best 18.58m, done in 2011. “Overall, I am being patient and this is track and field, and with my event, it is not something you have to rush as you just have to be persistent and the breakthrough will come, so I am being patient and dealing with the problems I have,” he said. Smikle stated that he also enjoys the rivalry between him and his teammates. “It is good as we make each other better, and right now, we are finding ways to get further throws, and the rivalry is good, and we just hope for more progress and positive vibes,” he said. “Coming into this season I am more motivated and focused, and during the period, I had my issues. I was not doing enough training as I was sorting out personal things. But with regard to my athleticism I am getting it back, so I need to get back my fitness and certain things I normally had, and it is going to take some time, but I am being patient,” he said. Smikle believes overseas competition at the highest level will be key for improvements. “At this point in our career, we have to get more competition to get to a higher level as it is all about competing against the best, and in order to improve, you have to compete against the best in the world. As my coach always says, you have to be in the ‘fire’, and Fedrick is leaving soon to go to compete in Europe, and that is also my aim as I thrive off competition,” he said. SHOT PUT AFTER missing out on quality competition for the past two seasons, Traves Smikle, who competed for Jamaica at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, had to watch from the sidelines after failing a doping test. However, his suspension was provisionally lifted by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last February. Since his comeback, the 23-year-old former Calabar High School throwing sensation has been taking it slowly. Last Saturday, he played second fiddle to his teammate at Calabar High and now UWI, Fedrick Dacres, in the men’s Open discus, where he threw 57.47 metres. “Today (Saturday) my performance didn’t go as planned as coming off a good training session I expected better. But I sustained an injury to my left hand, which was kind of sprained, but my coach told me to go out there and try to compete, and I will just have to go back and get treatment for the injury,” said Smikle, who has a personal best of 67.12m in the discus back in 2012.last_img read more

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): Former West Indies fast bowler, Sir Curtly Ambrose, said Antiguan pacer Alzarri Joseph should be promoted to the senior set-up on the basis of his ability and not his age. Joseph picked up 13 wickets to help West Indies win the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Bangladesh earlier this month. The 19-year-old pacer grabbed three for 39 off 10 overs to inspire West Indies to a five-wicket win over India in the final. “I believe that age has nothing to do with if you are ready or not,” declared Ambrose. “Sachin Tendulkar, one of the greatest players ever, made his Test debut when he was 15 or 16-years-old, when I figured he should have been in school and look how turned out.” During the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup, Joseph delivered the fastest ball in the tournament at 91.5 mph and bowled consistently around the high 80s-90 mph. He removed the stumps in four of his 13 wickets, had three lbw decisions, while three of his victims were caught by wicketkeeper Tevin Imlach off tentative edges. “So what you are telling me is that if Alzarri is doing well at age 19, and we think he can get the job done, why wait until he is 22?,” asked Ambrose, who claimed 405 Test scalps in 98 matches and 205 wickets in 172 one-day internationals. “By then he may just lose focus or say, ‘I am fed up’.” The powerfully built, 6 ft 4in Joseph hit helmet and gloves with his pace and bounce in Bangladesh to unsettle batsmen and trigger prospects of a revival in West Indies fast bowling. He bowled with similar intensity to claim seven for 46 against Windward Islands last November. “Alzarri still has a lot to learn, he has pace, which is good, but I figure that whenever I go close enough to him to sit and talk about cricket I would let him know that pace is good because you can intimidate people,” said Ambrose. “But to be able to consistently put the ball in the right area is the key and the foundation to being a great fast bowler.” Joseph returns to regional action for the Leeward Islands Hurricanes when they take on Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in Trinidad on Friday. – CMClast_img read more

first_imgMembers of the Standpipe community in Liguanea will be staging a 3-on-3 knockout basketball tournament entitled Standpipe Hoop Dreams Basketball Tournament at the Church of St Margaret community playground in the community this Sunday, April 3, from 3 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.The competition is open to community teams, corporate teams and universities. Team members must be males aged 16 years and over.Former national player, Althea Byfield and coach, Nicholas Locke, are part of the organising committee.Standpipe resident, and tournament organiser, Lorna Livingstone, told The Gleaner that the idea behind the event was to reawaken interest in the local courts, which were built in 2003.”The sport of basketball is dying in the area. The space is now mainly used to play scrimmage and futsal or host all-night parties,” Livingstone said.”It’s got great flooring and good hoops and because of bad management and people not knowing how to take care of it, how to use it and people just not being able to get on, no organised sport gets played there,” she added.Local area business, Super Valu, recently repainted the court lines for the tournament, Livingstone said.HOME COURTShe noted that the Jamaica Amateur Basketball Association had intended for the court to be used as a home court for local league play when it was first built, but over time the original plan had been eroded.”The idea is to have an event to remind people that basketball can be played here. The tournament is for 12 teams and it is open so if you are over 16 anyone can play. We have some teams that are registering from the existing Open League which include BOJ, Central Village and in Standpipe, the 39ers and the Liguanea Lions,” Livingstone said.”Support from local businesses and sponsors has been excellent so we are really looking forward to an excellent day of basketball, fun, entertainment, prizes and surprises,” she added.Students of the University of Technology’s Faculty of Science & Sport will also be conducting research on the tournament to help make improvements for future projects.”We have learnt a lot from organising this event and we intend to use this knowledge to make subsequent events even better,” Livingstone said.Sponsors for the tournament include INSIGHT Marketing Strategies Ltd, Emkay Sports & Trophies, Liguanea Liquors & Beverage, Hi-Lyte, Livingstone’s Natural Juice, Super Valu, Sign Craft Ltd, KLAS ESPN, Yardie Sports and JayBones Designs.last_img read more

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): The West Indies Cricket Board said on Wednesday it plans to pump more than half a million United States dollars into the women’s game, a move that will see an increase in player-retainer contracts and fees starting next month. In a media release, the regional governing body for the sport said it would move the number of player retainer contracts from 11 to 15, and would also augment sponsorship payments, match fees and captains’ allowances. The increases are set to cost the board US$600,000, an injection of cash which chief executive Michael Muirhead believes will stimulate the women’s game. “We are hoping this new package will serve as an additional incentive for the current set of women, and will serve as a drawing card to more women to be attracted to cricket,” said the Jamaican, who relinquishes the post next month. The deal was hammered out along with the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) and, according to the WICB, it will also benefit non-retained players as well. Former West Indies batsman Wavell Hinds, the current WIPA president and CEO, said the new compensation package for the women is “well deserved”. “Our women’s senior team has been a solid elite performing group over the last decade. As such, the improvement and security in their compensation package are well deserved,” Hinds said.last_img read more