How Does An Artist Qualify For The Best New Artist GRAMMY Category? Facebook Twitter Take a closer look at the Recording Academy’s qualification rules to determine which artists can be considered in the Best New Artist categoryPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Dec 8, 2018 – 8:59 am Each year the selection of GRAMMY nominees is the result of careful consideration and voting by Recording Academy members, who must both follow hard-and-fast rules as well as exercise their expert musical judgement. The Best New Artist category highlights newcomers — whether a solo artist, duo or group — but since “new” is a relative term, let’s take a closer look at how making the cut is determined.First of all, eligible artists must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the year’s eligibility period. This speaks to the essence of why Best New Artist is one of the most-anticipated categories each year, honoring exciting new talent in the music world. But sometimes rising stars take a while to reach this point, so numerical limits also help define the criteria for being “new” in this category. The first numerical rule boils eligibility down to the number of an artist’s releases. The minimum required is five singles or tracks or a complete album. The maximum is either three albums or a total of 30 singles or tracks previously released. Having more than this number of releases results in being ineligible even when an artist breaks through into public consciousness and impacts the musical landscape in a given eligibility period.However, even if this numerical release criterion is met, an artist may still be deemed ineligible if the artist achieved previous prominence, meaning the artist came into prominence prior to the current eligibility year.Another numerical limit is that an artist cannot have been considered more than three times previously for Best New Artist. This also applies to solo artists who emerge from having performed as a member in previous groups. That’s right, being previously considered three times either as a solo artist, in a previous band, or some mixture of the two means an artist is not eligible for Best New Artist consideration.For more valuable and illuminating information on all things GRAMMY Awards process, head over to GRAMMY101.com, or reach out to the Awards Help Desk at 877.637.6816, and don’t forget to tune in Feb. 10.See The Full List Of Nominees For The 61st GRAMMY AwardsRead more Email Who Is Eligible For The Best New Artist GRAMMY? how-does-artist-qualify-best-new-artist-grammy-category-0 News
13:57 Alphabet, Google’s parent company, will be redeveloping an area along the waterfront of Lake Ontario for its Sidewalk Labs initiative. Sidewalk Labs Google’s parent company Alphabet will reportedly open its first smart city buildings in Toronto as early as 2023. Google will eventually move into the Canadian smart campus, the report said. Dan Doctoroff, founder and CEO of Alphabet subsidiary Sidewalk Labs — which focuses on innovation in urban environments — told the Collision Conference in Canada of the timeline for the project, according to CNBC. The report said Doctoroff will submit a proposal next month, and after negotiations is hoping to break ground on the buildings by the end of 2020. The buildings would open in either late 2023 or early 2024. “These things take time, but that doesn’t mean we can’t begin to see the real fruits from a quality of life benefit perspective within a few years after the place opens up,” Doctoroff is reported as saying. “We would significantly expand Google’s presence in Toronto and move the head Canadian headquarters down to the waterfront.” Sidewalk Toronto quoted Doctoroff as saying at the Collision Conference that the company is “very focused on bringing in Canadian partners from a real estate, infrastructure and technology perspective. Part of this is to encourage the local tech ecosystem to grow.” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Alphabet’s smart campus project on the waterfront along Lake Ontario back in 2017. The development was originally designed to house just Sidewalk Labs, but Google later said it would join it. “This project offers unprecedented opportunities for Canadian innovators and will create thousands of good, middle class jobs,” Trudeau said at the announcement alongside Alphabet Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt. Google didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. First published at 4:02 p.m. PT on May 22. Updated May 23 at 9:30 a.m. PT: Headline changed from “opening around 2023” to “could open around 2023” if it is approved. Share your voice Smart Google Alphabet Inc. Now playing: Watch this: Mobile Smart Home Tech Industry Internet Culture How Smart Cities and 5G will improve health, public safety… Tags 1 Comment
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Popular on Variety Fandango is exclusively vending tickets to “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” early-access screenings taking place nearly three weeks before the DreamWorks Animation movie hits wide theatrical release.The “How to Train Your Dragon 3” pact is all in the family: NBCUniversal owns both Fandango and DWA (which is housed within Universal Pictures). Fandango is looking to sweeten the pot by offering an additional perk to members of its Fandango VIP rewards program: a free DreamWorks Animation movie through the FandangoNow streaming service.The Feb. 2 screenings, 20 days in advance of the Feb. 22 premiere date for the third and final installment in the “How to Train Your Dragon” movie franchise, is one of the earliest advance nationwide screening events for a major release.“This is a coming together of things we’ve seen that work,” said Paul Yanover, president of Fandango. “It’s providing something special to people who are big users of Fandango.” What was the rationale for setting the “How to Train Your Dragon 3” one-time screenings 20 days ahead of wide release? Yanover admitted there’s no hard data per se behind it. “I don’t think we have science around it yet,” he said but added that family-oriented movies lend themselves to the strategy: “Family audiences are big-time planners,” as opposed to, for example, millennials.The “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” early screenings on Feb. 2 will run across 1,000 theaters in the U.S., including select AMC Theatres, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark Theatres, Marcus Theaters, Harkins Theatres, Southern Theatres, National Amusements, and B&B Theatres. There will be just one showing per theater on that date.Tickets to the screening will carry regular pricing, with the free VOD streaming access to a DreamWorks Animation designed to lure in fans and build pre-release hype and awareness.“How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” is directed by Dean DeBlois, who has directed and co-written every film in the franchise. In the movie, Viking teen Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (voiced by Jay Baruchel) and Astrid (America Ferrera) — together with Toothless, the Night Fury dragon — discover a hidden world of dragons thought only to exist in myth. The movie is produced by Brad Lewis (“Ratatouille,” “ANTZ”) and Bonnie Arnold (“Toy Story,” “How to Train Your Dragon,” “How to Train Your Dragon 2”).As corporate siblings with Universal under the NBCU umbrella, Fandango is “naturally” frequently talking to Universal about such special partnerships, Yanover said, although he said the company regularly works with other studios in the same vein.Fandango’s VIP program gives users a $5 credit for every four movie tickets purchased. Those credits can be used for future movie-ticket purchases or for digital-movie purchases and rentals on FandangoNow.
Canning (WB): One person was killed and two others received bullet injuries after a clash broke out between two groups in South 24 Parganas district on Sunday, police said. The incident happened at Canning bus stand under the jurisdiction of Canning police station. Trouble began after the two groups, belonging to the same party, clashed at a rally organised by its youth wing, a police officer said. Shots were fired during the clash and 18-year-old Mizanur Rehman Sardar was killed on the spot, the officer said, adding, two other persons also suffered bullet injuries. They have been admitted to Canning sub-divisional hospital, he said.
The letter added: “As part of the maintenance requirements, it is necessary to undertaker vegetation clearances which includes includes strimming and grass cutting to the verges and central reservation on the A50. “The works are essential to ensure forward visibility for the travelling public. “To maximise the use of these lane closures and to minimise further disruption, we will combine other work activities within the same lane closures.” Want to keep up to date with the latest traffic and travel news?Each day Stoke-on-Trent Live journalists bring you the latest news on the roads and railways across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire, South Cheshire and further afield to help keep you on the move. For the very latest updates on roads including the M6, A500, A50 and more, visit our dedicated traffic and travel news channel here. We also run a live news feed each weekday, which you can access on our website’s homepage from 7am to 9pm from Monday to Friday. And for more as-we-get-it updates on the roads across the region and beyond, join The Sentinel’s traffic and travel Facebook group here. Follow StokeonTrentLive Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or get the Android version from Google Play. Follow StokeonTrentLive on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like! Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow SOTLive on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram – Featuring pictures past and present from across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow StokeonTrentLive on Instagram. Driver named following fatal collision Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailMotorists are being advised to expect delays due to planned lane closures on the A50 in North Staffordshire. Balfour Beatty will be carrying out ‘vegetation clearance’ on the dual carriageway between the A521 Meir Interchange and the A521 Tean/Blythe Marsh roundabout for four nights. As a result there will be lane closures on both the eastbound and westbound carriageways of the A50 (Blythe Bridge Bypass) between 8pm and 5am each night – with the A521 Eastbound entry slip road also completely closed while work is carried out. Work is set to begin on the evening of Tuesday April 23. In a letter Balfour Beatty, who maintain the A50 between Meir Interchange in Stoke-on-Trent and Sawley Interchange in Leicestershire on behalf of Highways England, said they were unable to carry out the work during ‘peak times during the day time’. Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital window Punter found hiding in bushes Police search for missing woman